Barrow Hill, Derbyshire
Barrow-Hill, a village in Staveley parish, Derbyshire; the nearest station is Chesterfield on the M.R. There are large coal and iron works belonging to the Staveley Coal and Iron Company, and furnishing employment to upwards of 4000 hands. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chesterfield. There are reading and news rooms and library provided for the use of the workmen.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Barrow Hill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: