Ruabon or Rhiwabon, an increasing town and a parish in Denbighshire. The town stands on an affluent of the river Dee, adjacent to Offa's Dyke and Wat's Dyke, 4½ miles SSW of Wrexham. It has a head post office, and a station on the Chester and Shrewsbury section and the Chester and Bala and Dolgelly section of the G.W.R. Ruabon has much business in connection with neighbouring collieries, brickworks, &c., and is a seat of petty sessions. Wynnstay, the princely seat of the baronet family of Williams-Wynn, is in the parish. The church stands close to the park gates of Wynnstay, and contains a curious monument of a son of Sir John Wynn of Gwydir, a marble effigies by Ruysbrach of Sir W. Wynn, a statue by Nollekens of Lady Wynn, daughter of the Duke of Beaufort, an altar-tomb of the Eyton family of date 1526, a monument of Powel who died in 1590, who was a native and vicar, and who wrote "Annotations on Gir-aldus" and published " Caradoc's History of Wales," and several mural monuments, especially one to the memory of the wife of Canon W. Edwards, and six beautiful memorial windows. There are Baptist, Calvinistic and Primitive Methodist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels. Fairs are held on the last Friday of Feb., 22 May, and 20 Nov. The civil parish includes Cefn Mawr, Christionydd, Pant, Pen-y-bryn, Pen-y-Cae, Rhosllanerchrugog, and Tainant. Acreage, 13,812 of land and 106 of water; population of the civil parish, 17,258; of the ecclesiastical, 2675. Pen-y-Cae, Rhosllanerchrugog, and Rhos-y-medre form separate ecclesiastical parishes, and have each a separate parish council of fifteen members. There is a district council for the whole civil parish. Plas Madoc is supposed to have been once a residence of the Prince of Wales, and is now a ladies' school. A camp called Gardden is on an eminence about three-quarters of a mile from the town, is defended in many parts of its circuit by concentric dykes, and in its area shows traces of ancient dwellings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; gross value, between £300 and £400 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Wrexham||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: