Hensingham, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical district in St Bees parish, Cumberland. The village stands on a rising ground, 1 mile NE of Whitehaven railway station, and has a post office under Whitehaven; money order and telegraph office, Whitehaven. Area of township, 2250 acres; population, 2078; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2065. Hensingham House was the seat of the Senhouses. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £195 with residence, built in 1879-80. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is modern, and has several memorial windows. There is a Wesleyan chapel, a mission-room erected in 1885, a cemetery, several charities, and a working-men's reading-room. Archbishop Grindall was a native. A reservoir of the Whitehaven Waterworks and the Galemire Joint Hospital for Infectious Diseases, erected in 1879, are in this township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitehaven|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hensingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hensingham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Hensingham are available from a number of sites: