Hayton, a village and a parish in Brampton union, Cumberland. The village stands at the confluence of the rivers Irthing and Gelt, half a mile NW of How Mill railway station, 2¼ miles S of Brampton, and 321 from London, and has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Warwick Bridge. The parish also includes Talkin, Little Corby, Faugh, and Fenton. Acreage, 7845; population of civil parish, 1254; of ecclesiastical parish of Hayton with Talkin, 1057. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle. Edmond Castle and Stone House are chief residences. Much of the surface is upland and abounds in game. Talkin tarn is a lakelet, about a mile in circuit. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Talkin, in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £312 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church has a small square tower and several stained glass memorial windows, was partly restored in 1842, and completely restored in 1888. There is a chapel of ease at Talkin. There are also Wesleyan chapels at Corby Hill and Fenton, an endowed school, and newsrooms for the working classes at Hayton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hayton St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hayton (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Hayton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cFaugh and Fenton
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.