UK Genealogy Archives logo

Nantglyn, Denbighshire

Historical Description

Nantglyn, a village and a parish in Denbighshire. The village stands on an affluent of the Clwyd, 4 miles SW by S of Denbigh, and has a post office under Denbigh; money order and telegraph office, Denbigh. The parish contains the townships of Blaunan, Gwllwm, Plas, and Hendre. Acreage, 5454; population of the civil parish, 255; of the ecclesiastical, 466. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £184 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The churchyard contains some fine yew trees. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Samwell, the surgeon of the circumnavigator Cook, was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Registration districtRuthin1837 - 1974

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

For births, marriages, and deaths in Nantglyn from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Ruthin Registration District.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Nantglyn are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online:

CountyDenbighshire
RegionWales
CountryWales
Postal districtLL16
Post TownDenbigh