Haile or Hale, Cumberland
Haile or Hale, a village and a parish in Cumberland, near Copeland Forest, the river Eden, and the Whitehaven and Furness railway, 2 miles SSE of Egremont station. The parish includes the hamlet of Wilton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Calderbridge. Acreage, 2672; population, 248. The manor, with Haile Hall, belongs to the Ponsonbys. Limestone and freestone abound. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £84 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church was restored in 1883, and contains two mural tablets to the Ponsonbys.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitehaven|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haile or Hale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Haile or Hale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cWilton
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.