Grinsdale, a village, a township, and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands on the river Eden, 1 mile from Kirk-Andrews-upon-Eden station on the North British railway, and 2¾ miles NW of Carlisle. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Carlisle. Acreage of township, 838; population, 103. The manor formerly belonged to the family of De Grinsdale. The traces of the Roman wall here are now very slight. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £131. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale, who is lord of the manor. The church was rebuilt in 1739, and is a small plain building.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Grinsdale St. Kentigern|
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grinsdale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Grinsdale (St. Kentigern))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Grinsdale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.