Bettws Abergele or Bettws yn Rhos, Denbighshire
Bettws-Abergele or Bettws-yn-Rhos, a hamlet and a parish in Denbighshire. The hamlet stands 4½ miles SW of Abergele station on the L. & N.W.R., and 9 W of St Asaph, and has a post and money order office of the name of Bettws-Abergele, under Abergele (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Llanfair Talhaiarn, 3 miles S. The parish includes eight small townships. Acreage, 6588; population of the civil parish, 739; of the ecclesiastical, 530. The surface lies high; is to a great extent uncultivated, and commands from some points good views of the coast and the sea. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is good. The parish has been divided for ecclesiastical purposes, and the district of Trovarth (St John's Church) formed. There are several dissenting chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Rhyl|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bettws St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||St. Asaph|
|Registration district||St. Asaph||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bettws Abergele or Bettws yn Rhos from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Denbighshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bettws Abergele or Bettws yn Rhos are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: