Wasdale Head, Cumberland
Wasdale Head, part of the township of Eskdale and Wasdale, and a chapelry in St Bees parish, Cumberland, comprising the upper part of Wasdale, 8 miles from Irton Road station on the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway. Post town, Carnforth. Population, 75. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £125 with residence. Patron, the Incumbent of St Bees. The church is very small, and consists only of a nave with bell turret. See ESKDALE.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bootle|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wasdale Head from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wasdale-Head)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Wasdale Head are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)