Thornthwaite, a village and an ecclesiastical parish, formed from Crosthwaite parish, Cumberland. The village lies 1¼ mile NNW of Braithwaite railway station, and 3¼miles NW by W of Keswick. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1841, and includes the village of Braithwaite. Post town, Keswick; money order and telegraph office, Braithwaite. Population, 560. The living is a vicarage, with Braithwaite annexed, in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £128 with residence. Patrons, the Vicar of Crosthwaite and the Vicar of St John, Keswick. The church consists of chancel, nave, transepts, porch, and bell turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a church mission-room at Braithwaite.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornthwaite from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thornthwaite)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.