Great Salkeld, Cumberland
Salkeld, Great, a parish, with a village, in Cumberland, on the river Eden, near Force Mill Fall, 4½ miles ESE of Plumpton railway station½ 5½ NE by N of Penrith, and 2 from Lazonby station. It has a post office under Penrith; money order and telegraph office, Lazonby. The parish includes the hamlet of Salkeld Dykes. Acreage, 3706, including 41 of water; population, 482. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Nunwick Hall is the chief residence. Remains exist of Dyke and Aikton Castle camps, and of the pier of an ancient bridge destroyed by a flood in 1360 and almost entirely washed away in 1890, and a Roman altar was dug up in the churchyard about 1890. Excellent freestone is found on the fells. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to St Cuthbert, is ancient, and consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower which formerly was fortified. Six bells were hung in the tower in 1880, and a clock was placed in it in 1892. There are Presbyterian and Wesleyan chapels. Besides Archdeacon Paley, author of " The Evidences," William Nicolson, Bishop of Carlisle, afterwards Bishop of Londonderry and Archbishop of Cashel; Sir George Fleming, Bart. of Rydal, Bishop of Carlisle; Edmund Law, Bishop of Carlisle; and John Law (his son), Bishop of Elphin, were rectors of Great Salkeld. George Henry Law, Bishop of Bath and Wells, and Chief-Justice Lord Ellenborough were also sons of Bishop John Law. Bishop James Bowstead of Lichfield was a native of the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Salkeld St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Salkeld from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Salkeld, Great (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Salkeld are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.