Great Broughton, Cumberland
Broughton, Great, a township and a parish in Cumberland. The township lies on the river Derwent adjacent to the Cockermouth and Workiugton railway, on which it has a station. It has a post and money order office under Cockermouth, which is the telegraph office. Acreage, 2073; population of township, 1447; of ecclesiastical parish, 2290. The parish is more extensive than the township, and includes Little Broughton and Eibston. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £149 with residence. The church is new. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Friends' meeting-house; also an endowed school and almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Broughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Broughton, Great)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Broughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.