Little Staughton, Bedfordshire
Staughton, Little, a parish, with a village, in Bedfordshire, 4½ miles S by E of Kimbolton station on the M.R. It has a post office under St Neots; money order and telegraph office, Great Staughton. Acreage, 1744; population, 378. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is a building in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and there is a large Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Staughton All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1598.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Little Staughton: Baptisms 1598-1993, Marriages 1598-1995, Burials 1598-1995, Banns 1824-1945. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church, supposed to have been named All Saints', is a building in the Decorated and Perpendicular stvles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle, with south porch and an embattled western tower of four stages, with octagonal truncated spire, of which the upper portion was destroyed by lightning in 1901; it is relieved by dormers and contains 5 bells: on the north side of the chancel is a canopied sepulchral recess, with quatrefoils on the walls below, and in the south aisle a hagioscope: the whole structure is embattled: there are sittings for 250 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Little Staughton was in St. Neots Registration District from 1837 to 1935 and Bedford Registration District from 1935 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Staughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Staughton, Little (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Staughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.