UK Genealogy Archives logo

Great Blencow, Cumberland

Historical Description

Blencow, Great, a township in Dacre parish, Cumberland, 4½ miles WNW of Penrith. It has a station on the Cockermouth railway, and a post office under Penrith, both of the name of Blencow; money order and telegraph office, Greystoke. There is a free grammar school founded in 1576 by Thomas Burbank.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCumberland 
Civil parishDacre 
Poor Law unionPenrith 
WardLeath 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Blencow from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Great Blencow are available from a number of sites:

DistrictEden
CountyCumbria
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtCA11
Post TownPenrith