Strands, a village in the S of Cumberland, on the river Irt, near the foot of Wast Water, 6½ miles NE of Ravenglass. It has two inns, and hires out boats for sailing on the lake.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Strands are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.