Gosforth, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands 3 miles ENE of Seascale railway station, and 6½ SE by S of Egremont, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) The parish includes also the townships of Seaside, Bolton, and Boon Wood. Acreage, 8257; population, 1327. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £195 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church shows Norman features, and is neat and small. A tall cross, supposed to be Scandinavian, sculptured all over with curious devices, stands in the churchyard. There is a bank, and fairs are held in April, August, and October.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gosforth St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Whitehaven|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gosforth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gosforth (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Gosforth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBolton in Copeland
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.