Port Carlisle, Cumberland
Port Carlisle, a small place in the N of Cumberland, on the Solway Frith, at the terminus of the Port Carlisle railway, 11½ miles WNW of Carlisle. The railway is identical with the Carlisle and Silloth railway from Carlisle to Drumburgh, a distance of fully 9 miles, and together with that railway is leased to the North British Railway Company. The place was formerly a seaport, but its trade has been transferred to Silloth. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1861, and seating 150 persons.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Port Carlisle are available from a number of sites: