Gilcrux, a parish in Cumberland, on the river Ellen, adjacent to the Carlisle and Maryport railway, about 1 mile from Bull Gill station, and 5½ miles NNW of Cockermouth. It has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Aspatria. Acreage, 2018; population, 572. Coal, limestone, and freestone abound. There are numerous springs of excellent water, and a remarkable spring -of salt water. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross yearly value, £125 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gilcrux St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gilcrux from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gilcrux (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Gilcrux are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.