Old Carlisle, Cumberland
Carlisle, Old, a locality 2 miles S of Wigton, in Cumberland, the site of a Roman station, the name of which is unknown, on the Roman road from Carlisle to Ellenborough. Materials were taken from ancient buildings on it toward the erection of Wigton, and numbers of Roman relics have been found. It was the centre of a circular line of Roman camps, and although no traces of masonry are now visible, the position and extent of the fort can still be traced.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Old Carlisle are available from a number of sites: