UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Newton Arlosh or Long Newton, Cumberland

Historical Description

Newton Arlosh or Long Newton, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Holme Cultram parish, Cumberland. The village stands near Moricambe Bay on the Solway Firth, 2½ miles from Kirkbride station on the North British railway; was once a market-town, and has remains of a fortified church, built in 1309, and rebuilt in 1843-45. It was restored in 1876 and again in 1894. The ecclesiastical parish is conterminate with East Waver Holme township. Post town, Silloth; money order and telegraph office, Kirkbride. Population, 421. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £203 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Holme Cultram.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCumberland 
Civil parishHolme Cultram 
Poor Law unionWigton 
WardAllerdale below Derwent 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton Arlosh or Long Newton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.