Mayborough, an ancient British monument on the S border of Cumberland, on the river Eamont, 1½ mile S of Penrith. It is situated on a wooded eminence; comprises a circular area about 300 feet in diameter, surrounded by a mound of pebbles 16 feet high; has in the centre an unhewn block of stone 25 feet in girth and 11 high; had foimerly near that stone three other blocks of similar character; and is entered through the mound by a cut 36 feet wide. Some antiquaries suppose it to be Druidical, while others disagree widely with one another in opinion respecting it Sir Walter Scott speaks of it as- " Mayborough's mound and stones of power, By Druids raised In magic hour."
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.