Maryport and Carlisle Railway, Cumberland
Maryport and Carlisle Railway, a railway in Cumberland, going SW from Carlisle via Dalston to Aikbank Junction, where the line divides, part going by Brayton and part by High Blaithwaite to Aspatria, where these lines reunite and continue to Bull Gill, where the line divides, one branch going SW to Maryport and the other S to Brigham Junction of the L. & N.W.R. The Maryport and Carlisle railway gives the iron mines and furnaces of Cumberland a valuable connection both with Scotland and with Newcastle. It was authorized as a single line in 1837, and was made double and otherwise improved under an Act of 1855. The company obtained power in 1862 to construct branches 7¼ miles long to Bolton and Wigton, and in 1865 to construct the important Derwent branch of 6 miles from Bull Gill to Brigham Junction. The offices of the company are at Mary-port, and the company have at present 41 miles of line.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.