Lowside Quarter, Cumberland
Lowside Quarter, a township in St Bees parish, Cumberland, on the coast, half a mile from St Bees station on. The Whitehaven and Fumess railway, and 4 miles S of White-haven. It contains the hamlets of Upper Town, Middle-Town, Nether Town, Braystones, and Lowmill. Post town and money order and telegraph office, St Bees. Acreage, 2498, of which 570 are water and foreshore; population, 331. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor. Egremont Castle, now a ruin, is within the township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitehaven|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lowside Quarter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lowside-Quarter)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.