Flimby, a village and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland, on the coast, and on the Maryport and White-haven railway, 1 mile SSW of Maryport, with a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Maryport. Acreage of the parish, 1650 of land and 420 of water and foreshore; population, 2415. The increase of population of late years is due to the opening of extensive coal mines and the erection of houses for the workers. The parish was constituted out of ' Camerton in the time of Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross yearly value, £140 with resideace. Patrons, the Landowners. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Flimby St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flimby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Flimby (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Flimby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.