Kirkcambeck, an ancient parish and a rivulet in the NE of Cumberland. The parish lay on the rivulet, 5¼ miles NNE of Brampton, was overrun and desolated by the Scots in the Border feuds, and became absorbed in the parish of Laner-cost. It has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Brampton. The living was a rectory, and the church, at some time not recorded, was given to the prior and convent of Carlisle. The rivulet rises in Spadeadam Moss, near the boundary with Cumberland, and runs about 12 miles south-westward to the Irthing, 1¼ mile N of Brampton.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Kirkcambeck are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.