Kirk Andrews upon Eden, Cumberland
Kirk Andrews-upon-Eden, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands on the Roman wall and on the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 3½ miles WNW of Carlisle, and has a station on the railway. The churchyard here was probably the site of a mill-castle on the Roman wall, and a garden in the village contains a Roman altar, brought from Kirksteads, about a mile S. The vallnm of the wall is slightly traceable in the neighbourhood. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hosket Hill, and its post town is Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Burgh-by-Sands (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1011; population of the civil parish, 136; of the ecclesiastical, 388. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lons-dale. The living is a rectory, united with that of Beaumont, in the diocese of Carlisle; joint net value, £179 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church has disappeared, and the church of Beaumont serves for the united parishes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirk-Andrews-upon-Eden St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirk Andrews upon Eden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kirk-Andrews-upon-Eden (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.