UK Genealogy Archives logo

Isell, Cumberland

Historical Description

Isell, a village, a township, and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands on the river Derwent, 3 miles NE of Cockermouth station on the L. & N.W.R. The township bears the name of Blindcrake, Isell, and Redmain. Acreage, 4251; population, 292; of the ecclesiastical parish, 432. The parish contains also the townships of Isell Old Park and Sunderland. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Cockermouth. Sir Wilfred Lawson is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £130 with residence. Patron, Sir Wilfred Lawson. The church is a small ancient building In the Norman style, consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and a hell-turret, and was restored in 1878.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCumberland 
Ecclesiastical parishIsell St. Michael 
Poor Law unionCockermouth 
WardAllerdale below Derwent 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Isell from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Blindcrake, Isell, and Redmain
Isell Old Park

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.