Holme Cultram, Cumberland
Holme Cultram or Abbey Holme, an ancient parish in Cumberland, on the Carlisle and Silloth railway, the river Waver, and the Solway Firth, around the village of Abbey Town and the town of Silloth, which have stations on the railway, and post, money order, and telegraph offices. It contains the townships of Abbey Holme, Holme St Cuthbert, East Waver Holme, and Low Holme. There are two ecclesiastical parishes, viz., St Mary's and St Cuthbert's. Population, 906 and 753 respectively. The coast appears, from various records, to have undergone very great changes by irruption of the sea. A Cistercian abbey, noticed in our article ABBEY HOLME, was a centre of much influence and a place of important events. King Alexander of Scotland plundered it in 1216, Edward I. of England was there in 1300, Robert Bruce partially demolished it in 1322, though his father had been buried in it Wolsty Castle, a fortress erected by the abbots to secure their treasures, books, and charters from the sudden forays of the Scots, stood a short distance to the W. There are a steam mill and brick and tile works. The living of St Mary is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £260 with residence. Patron, the University of Oxford. The church is a renovated portion of the old abbey buildings; has been rebuilt at various times, and was thoroughly restored in 1885. The living of St Cuthbert's is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £200. Patron, the Vicar of Holme Cultram. The livings of Newton Arlosh and St Paul's (Silloth) are separate benefices, also in the gift of the Vicar of Holme Cultram.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holme-Cultram Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holme Cultram from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Holme-Cultram (Virgin Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cBeckfoot
Holme St Cuthbert
Holme, East Waver
Newton Arlosh or Long Newton
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.