UK Genealogy Archives logo

Farlam, Cumberland

Historical Description

Farlam, a parish in Cumberland, its western boundary adjoining the Brampton Junction station of the Carlisle and Newcastle railway, 1½ mile ESE of Brampton. Acreage, 5310; population of the civil parish, 1502; of the ecclesiastical, 1497. The parish consists of a number of scattered groups of colliery houses, and its post town is Hallbankgate, under Carlisle. There are extensive coal mines here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £162 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to St Thomas a Becket, was built in 1861, near the site of an ancient parish church, at a cost of about £1600.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCumberland 
Ecclesiastical parishFarlam St. Thomas à Becket 
Poor Law unionBrampton 
WardEskdale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Farlam from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Farlam are available from a number of sites:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Milton

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictCarlisle
CountyCumbria
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtCA8
Post TownBrampton