Ennerdale, a village, a township, a vale, and a lake in Cumberland. The township and the village of Ennerdale Bridge are in St Bees parish, situated on the river Eden, 1½ mile W of Ennerdale Lake, 3 miles from Rowrah railway station, 3 from Frizington, and 8 from Whitehaven. There is a post office at Ennerdale Bridge, under Frizington; money order and telegraph office, Frizington. Kinniside is attached to Ennerdale and forms with it a joint township. Acreage, 22,407; population, 519. The surface is largely moorish and mountainous. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £66 with residence. The church was built in 1857 on the site of the old one, and the churchyard contains many monuments; but, at the date of the scene of Wordsworth's pastoral of "The Brothers"-that scene being laid here "The parish chapel stood alone, Girt round with a bare ring of mossy wall." And "in the churchyard Was neither epitaph nor monument, Tombstone nor name-only the turf they trod, And a few natural graves."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitehaven|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ennerdale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ennerdale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.