Limbury cum Biscot, Bedfordshire
Limbury-cum-Biscot (Bishopscote), a hamlet in Beds, 2¼ miles from Luton. There is a station at Leagrave on the M.R. The hamlets of Limbury-cum-Biscot and Leagrave were formed in 1866 into the ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, Biscot. Population, 1004. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £160 with residence. The church, erected in 1867, consists of chancel, nave, and N transept, with an organ-chamber on the S side. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1867.
Church of England
The Holy Trinity
The church of the Holy Trinity, built in 1867 at the cost of the late John Sambrooke Crawley esq, consists of chancel, nave, north transept, north porch, organ chamber on the south side, and a western bell-cote containing 2 bells: there are 300 sittings.
Limbury was in Luton Registration District from 1896 to 1928
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Limbury cum Biscot from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Limbury cum Biscott)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Limbury cum Biscot are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Limbury cum Biscot was in Luton Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Luton Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Luton Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.