UK Genealogy Archives logo

Braithwaite, Cumberland

Historical Description

Braithwaite, a village 3 miles NW of Keswick, Cumberland, on the Cockermouth and Penrith railway. It forms with Thornthwaite an ecclesiastical parish, and with Middlesceugh a civil parish. It has a railway station, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Keswick The surface commands splendid prospects.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCumberland 
Civil parishCrosthwaite 
WardAllerdale above Derwent 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Braithwaite from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Braithwaite are available from a number of sites:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictAllerdale
CountyCumbria
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtCA12
Post TownKeswick