Edenhall, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village lies on the river Eden, near Inglewood Forest and the boundary with Westmorland, 4 miles ENE of Penrith railway station, and has a post office under Langwathby (R.S.O.); money order, and telegraph office, Langwathby The parish comprises 3429 acres; population of the civil parish, 243; of the ecclesiastical, which includes Langwathby, 571. The manor belonged to the Veteripontes, then to the Stapletons, and passed to the Musgraves. Eden Hall, the seat of the Mus-grave family, is an edifice of white stone, rebuilt in a style of much elegance; stands amid sloping grounds tastefully adorned; and contains a curious ancient drinking-glass, called the Luck of Eden Hall, said to have been obtained from fairies, noted in several romantic ballads, and sung in a poem of three cantos by the Rev. B. Porteous, and is the subject of one of Longfellow's poems. Much land, formerly waste, has been reclaimed. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Langwathby, in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, -£195 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is a beautiful building, erected in the 12th century, has a low battlemented tower, and contains monuments of the Musgraves, and a brass of one of the Stapletons of the date of 1458. The parishes of Edenhall and Langwathby are not united for civil purposes, although they have been united for ecclesiastical purposes for the last 500 years.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edenhall St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edenhall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Edenhall (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Edenhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.