Dearham, a township and a parish in Cumberland. The township lies 2½ miles ENE of Maryport, and has two stations on the Maryporr and Carlisle railway, and a pofct and money order office under Carlisle; telegraph office, Maryport. Acreage of the township, 2149; population, 2598. The parish contains also the township of Ellenborough and Ewanrigg, in which there are collieries and extensive iron and steel works. Population, 7069. The living is a vicarage, with a chapel of ease at Netherton, in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £102 with residence. The church has a carved Saxon font, a sculptured cross in the churchyard, and a famous Runic stone. There are Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels, a temperance hall, and a working men's newsroom. Glasson Docks are in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dearham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dearham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Dearham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cEllenborough and Ewanrigg
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.