Dean, a township and a parish in Cumberland. The township lies on the river Marron, three-quarters of a mile from Ullock station on the Whitehaven, Cleator, and Egremont Joint railway, and 5 miles SW of Cockermouth. The parish contains also the villages of Dean, Dean-Scales, Branthwaite, Pardshaw, and Pardshaw Hall. Post town, Cockermouth. Acreage, 6528; population, 765. Coal and building-stone occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £312 with residence. The church is old. There are several charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dean St. Oswald|
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dean from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dean (St. Oswald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Dean are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBranthwaite
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.