Dalston, a village and parish in Cumberland. The village lies on the river Caldew, adjacent to the Carlisle and Maryport railway, 4½ miles SW by S of Carlisle, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The parish contains also Buckabank, Cumdivock, Hawksdale, Ivegill, Gatergill, and Raughton. Acreage, 12,417; population of the civil parish, 2004; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1596. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Rose Castle is the Bishop's seat, and will be separately noticed. Dalston Hall, now a farmhouse, was a castellated seat of the Dalstons. There are cotton factories and forges. There are also a Roman camp, a barrow, and remains of a Druidical circle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £246 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church has a curious bell-gable, and was restored in 1890 at a cost of £2500. Dr. Paley was vicar from 1776 till 1793. There is a grammar school and a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dalston St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dalston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dalston (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Dalston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBuckabank or Buckhow Bank
Ivegill or Highhead
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.