Cumwhitton, a township and a parish in Cumberland. The township lies near the river Eden, 3 miles from Wetheral station on the N.E.R., and 7½ ESE of Carlisle. It has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Wetheral. Area, 5824 acres; population, 453. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor. The surface contains some fine scenery. A waste tract in the south-east, called King Harry, has the Druidical circle of Grey Yauds, 52 yards in diameter. There were formerly 88 stones, but only 1 is left, the rest being removed in the cultivation of the soil. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £275 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cumwhitton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cumwhitton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cumwhitton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cumwhitton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cHigh and Low Northsceugh
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.