Cumrew, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands at the west foot of Cumrew Fell, 4— miles from How Mill railway station, and 6 N by E of Kirkoswald. Post town, Carlisle. Acreage, 2772; population, 103. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor. Cumrew House is the seat of the Gill family. Dunwalloght Castle, now a confused ruin, was a seat of the Dacres. Cumrew Fell, a mountain ridge, extending north and south, is crowned by a vast cairn called Cardunneth. Another cairn is near the church, and two others elsewhere have yielded a rough stone coffin and a pottery urn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £155 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is a small neat building with a tower and two bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cumrew from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cumrew are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.