Cumbersdale or Cummersdale, Cumberland
Cumbersdale or Cummersdale, a township in St James's parish, Carlisle city and union, Cumberland, on the river Caldew, and on the Carlisle and Maryport railway, 2 miles SW of Carlisle. Post, money order, and telegraph office, Carlisle. Acreage, 2015; population, 909. It has a station for goods on the railway, and there are flour and cotton spinning mills, calico printing, and dyeing and bleaching works.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cumbersdale or Cummersdale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cummersdale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cumbersdale or Cummersdale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.