Culgaith, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish, in Kirkland parish, Cumberland, on the river Eden and Crowdundle Beck, at the boundary with Westmorland, 6½ miles E by S of Penrith, with a telegraph station on the M.R., and a post and money order office under Carlisle. Acreage, 2911; population, 334. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £200. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkland. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Culgaith from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Culgaith are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.