Crosby upon Eden, Cumberland
Crosby-upon-Eden, a parish in Cumberland, on the river Eden and the Roman wall, 3½ miles NE of Carlisle. Acreage, 2409; population, 297. The ecclesiastical parish includes the townships of High Crosby, Low Crosby, Brunstock, Walby, Linstock, and Parkbroom, and has a post office, of the name of Low Crosby, under Carlisle; population, 532. Crosby Lodge and Newby Grange are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £272 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crosby-upon-Eden St. John|
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crosby upon Eden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Crosby-Upon-Eden (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Crosby upon Eden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBrunstock
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.