Croglin, a village and a parish in Cumberland, on the Croglin river, under Cumrew Fell, 4 miles NNE of Kirk-Oswald, and 4½ E of Armathwaite station on the M.R., with a post office under Kirkoswald (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Kirkoswald. Acreage, 7112; population, 244. The manor belonged to the Hastings, the Whar-tons, and the Wyndhams. The present Lord of the manor is Lord Leconfield as representative of the last Earl of Egremont. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; value, £320 with residence. The church was entirely rebuilt in 1878. A curious stone cross, formerly in the churchyard, has disappeared. Two moulds for casting spear-heads, found a few years ago in the neighbourhood of the parish quarry, are now in the museum at Carlisle. There is a school with a small endowment, which had for pupil Dr Locke, the founder of Westminster lying-in-hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Croglin St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Croglin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Croglin (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Croglin are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cNewbiggin (Croglin)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.