Corney, a parish in Cumberland, on the Furness railway, 2 miles N of Bootle railway station, and 4 SSE of Raven-glass. Post town, Bootle, under Whitehaven. Acreage, 4359; population of civil parish, 225; of ecclesiastical, 230. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £125. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is old.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Corney St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Bootle|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Corney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Corney (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Corney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.