Castle Carrock, Cumberland
Castle-Carrock, a parish in Cumberland, on the river Gelt, under Cumrew Fell, 2 miles SE of How-Mill railway station, and 4 S of Brampton. It has a post and telegraph office under Carlisle; money order office, Brampton. Acreage, 3031; population of the civil parish, 236; of the ecclesiastical, 262. Limestone and freestone abound, and there are two mineral springs. Traces exist of two ancient military strengths. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; value, £206 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was restored in 1888. There are also Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and a school endowed with 20 acres of land.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Castle-Carrock St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1688; burials and marriages, 1679.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, rebuilt in 1828 at a cost of £250, in place of an older structure, is a small edifice of freestone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower containing one bell: the pulpit was the gift of the Rev. Alfred Ralph Watson, 1888: the south stained glass window is a memorial to John and Hannah Maria Watson, of Gelt Hall, and was erected in 1888, and there are other memorial windows, one in memory of Ann Dobson, of Tarn House, in 1888, and another, presented in 1888, by Mrs. Watson, of Holme Eden, in memory of her husband, Mr. William Watson. There are also several memorial tablets, one being to the memory of Margaret Pearson, d. 1741, and the Rev. John Pearson, d. 1777: in the church is also a tomb bearing an inscription to a former rector. In 1888 the church was completely restored at a cost of £1,000, and now affords 141 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castle Carrock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Castle-Carrock (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Castle Carrock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.