Borth, a village and a small watering-place in Cyfoeth-y-Brenin parish, Cardiganshire, 7 miles NNE of Aberystwith. It has a station on the Cambrian railway, aud a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) It was formerly a fishing village. Sandy beaches, called Borth Sands, extend 4 miles from its vicinity northward to the estuary of the Dovey, and are overlooked by cliffs commanding splendid sea-views.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Aberythwyth|
|Petty-Sessional Division||Upper Gleneu'r-Glyn|
|Poor Law union||Aberythwyth|
|Registration district||Aberystwyth||1934 - 1936|
|Registration district||Cardiganshire North||1936 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1879.
Church of England
The church of St. Matthew, a chapel of ease to the parish church of Llanfihangel-Geneu'r-Glyn, is a building of stone in the Early English style, erected in 1879 and consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a western turret containing one bell; there are 264 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Borth from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is online.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Borth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: