Blaenpenal or Blaenpennal, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Llanddewi-Brefi parish, Cardiganshire, on the river Aeron, 4 miles NW of Tregaron, under which it has a post office. Acreage, 4231; population, 472. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £160. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Lampeter|
|Poor Law union||Tregaron|
|Registration district||Tregaron||1837 - 1936|
|Registration district||Cardiganshire Central||1936 - 1974|
|Rural Deanery||Ultra Aeron|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1797.
Church of England
St. David (parish church)
The church of St. David, an ancient building of stone, consists only of a nave, and has one bell: the church was restored in 1887 and affords 80 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blaenpennal from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is online.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cardiganshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Blaenpennal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: