Whitland or Hen Dy Gwyn ar Daf, Carmarthenshire
Whitland or Hen-Dy-Gwyn ar Daf, a celebrated place in Carmarthenshire, situated in the parishes of Llangan and Llanboidy. It is an important junction on the G.W.R., as there are railways from this station to Tenby and Pembroke Dock, and to Cardigan. It has a weekly market for meat and farm produce, and also a monthly market for the sale of stock, &c. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Hen-Dy-Gwyn was formerly the residence of Howell the Good, who drew up here the great code of laws in the middle ages. Whitland Abbey, the residence of the Yelvertons, is 2 miles distant. Its church is called Eglwys-Fair-ar-Daf or St Mary's on the Taf. There are Congregational, Baptist, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Narberth||1837 - 1935|
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1935 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: