Knotting or Netting, a parish, with a village, in Bedfordshire, adjacent to Northamptonshire, 3 miles NNE of Sharnbrook station on the M.R., and 4½ SSE of Higham Ferrers. Post town and money order and telegraph office,. Sharnbrook, under Bedford. Acreage, 1739; population of the civil parish, 161; of the ecclesiastical, with Souldrop, 382. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Souldrop, in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value,, £400 with residence. The church has Saxon and Norman portions; consists of nave, S chapel, and chancel, with wooden porch and square tower. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Knotting St. Margaret|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from about the year 1592.
The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for Knotting: Baptisms 1592-1981, Marriages 1592-1941, Burials 1592-1981, Banns 1823-1919. Transcripts in either book or microfiche form for registers prior to 1813 can be purchased from the BLARS (see website for details).
Church of England
The church of St. Margaret is a small edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, with Decorated insertions, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, chapel and a small western tower containing a clock and one bell: the chancel arch is Norman, with zigzag mouldings: on the parapet of the tower is the date 1615, and a roof beam of the nave is dated 1669: in 1904 the roofs of the nave and transept were retiled, and the north wall strengthened, at a cost of about £80: there are about 60 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Knotting was in Bedford Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knotting from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Knotting (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Knotting are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:
- Bedfordshire Times and Independent
- Biggleswade Chronicle
- Luton Times and Advertiser
- Luton News and Bedfordshire Chronicle
Knotting was in Bedford Poor Law Union. For further detailed history of the Bedford Union see Peter Higginbotham's excellent resource: Bedford Poor Law Union and Workhouse.
A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.