Pembrey, a town and a parish in Carmarthenshire. The town stands on the river Burry, adjacent to Burry Port, at the foot of Pembrey Mountain, 5 miles W by N of Llanelly; has a station called Pembrey and Burry Port on the South Wales section of the G.W.R., and a post and money order office under Burry Port (R.S.O.) It has a spacious harbour, with three docks, one of which, a mile distant, is used for the shipment of explosives. A new railway joins the Mynydd Mawr railway, so giving additional facilities for export traffic. The parish includes Burry Port, and comprises 14,750 acres of land and 178 of water, with 360 of tidal water and 7418 of foreshore; population, 6335. Copper works, silver works, tinplate works, and white lead works are at Burry Port. Pembrey Mountain commands remarkably fine views over the circumjacent bays and waters to the heights of Somerset. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Llandary, in the diocese of St David's; net value, £265 with residence. The church is ancient, and the churchyard contains a monument to the Empress Josephine's. niece, who was wrecked here in a French ship in 1828. There are chapels of ease at Burry Port and Llandyry, and Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Llanelly||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pembrey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: