Newchurch, a parish in Carmarthenshire, 3 miles NW of Carmarthen. It contains several hamlets, and is sometimes called Llan Newydd. Post town, Carmarthen. Acreage, 5015; population of the civil parish, 690; of the ecclesiastical, 753. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. It also sends one member to the district council. Carmarthen county jail is in this parish although situated in the heart of Carmarthen town. There are vestiges of a Pioman and a British camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £129. There are Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Newchurch from 1837 to 1974 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Newchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: